Winter 2024 Success Sailing
Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 (3:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
Sunday, Jan 28, 2024 (3:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
Sunday, Feb 4, 2024 (3:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
Sunday, Feb 11, 2024 (3:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
Sunday, Mar 3, 2024 (3:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
Sunday, Mar 17, 2024 (3:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
PROGRAM FEES: $300 (Scholarships are available for all participants who will commit to 80 % attendence)
FOR SCHOLARSHIP DISCOUNT - enter SS300
A Unified Team Approach Teaching Sailing to athletes with Intellectual Disabilities. The goal is to introduce sailing as a recreational activity while instilling a passion for the sport whereby the participants grow to a point where they consider themselves “sailors”. We hope someday to align our program with Special Olympics. Until such time this program will lay the groundwork towards developing sailors.
- Ages 14+
- Capable of swimming with a lifejacket on
- Able to verbally communicate with teammate when mentor-coach is provided.
- Students with the fitness, agility, and comfort in and around water will discover success quickly
Instructor led sessions with mentor-coaches sailing with students 1-on-1
Sundays, 3:00 PM-5:00 PM
January 14, 28 ; February 4, 11; March 3, 17
Coaches-mentors will be provided, unless you bring your own “sailing buddy”.
Participants may bring their buddy to serve as a coach-mentor and the "Buddy" will receive free sailing instruction along with the participant. The Buddy must commit to all sessions within the Season.
Coach-mentor Prerequisites (when bringing your own buddy):
- Capable of swimming with a lifejacket on while keeping the participant calm
- Able to effectively communicate with participant under stressful situations
- Capable of emotionally handling a capsize recovery drill
- Capable of physically climbing into the boat from the water after a capsize
- Capable of physically assisting the participant out of the water back into the boat
The program fee includes 6-weeks of instruction. Pricing is the same whether you attend or not. Sailing is always weather permitting. The lesson is rain or shine with shore-based activities when the weather does not permit sailing. Decisions to sail or not to sail may vary with the student-sailor and the mentor-coach.
PROGRAM FEES: (Scholarships are available for persons who qualify based on financial need)
•$300 / Mentor-Coach Provided
o $50 discount for those with USSCMC Family Memberships
Space may be limited to six students per session. Additional registrations will be allowed as conditions permit.